Edgewank

 In a discussion about the new Dark Sun on Sly Flourish's Patreon discord about how the setting seems to be shying away from slavery (and other situations where the whole thing is underexamined, I said the following:

 "It's just funny to see a game where earlier editions had the Enslaved Goblins Digging Pits Chart suddenly get so squeemish about it, even as opponents. I get why not everyone wants a treatise on the brutal realities of pre-industrial labor (and post-industrial, to an extent), but there's a lot you can do without turning into edgewank."

People really liked the term, so I decided to coin it a tad more formally. Edgewank is the attempt of a product to market itself as grim, dark, gritty, and for mature people in such a way that it tries too hard and comes off embarassed and deeply insecure, possibly because the actual content is fairly pedestrian and tame. Think the differences between KISS and GWAR. 

Dark Sun (1991) is Grimdark. Dark Sun (2027) is Edgewank. 


Historical terms have included "grimdork" and comparing OP to a pizza cutter-all edge, no point. 

I still stand by my conclusions surrounding the current rise of Edgewank in elfgames in yesterday's post, but I thought I would introduce a fun new term into people's vocabularies and have something folks could link back to for reference. Have a nice Friday, y'all. Next time I'll hopefully be posting about some comic books I like.

Comments

Popular Posts