The Springfield School of Worldbuilding
![]() |
| 🎶 I wish that I had Jessie's World 🎶 (original photo by Gary Gershoff) |
Okay sorry, not that Springfield. Rather, I'm talking about these Springfields (Springs Field?):
| According to worldatlas.com, there are 41 Springfields on this map. |
There are four types of town names: Springfields, Named After People, a combination of the first two, and Other. If you go back far enough into the history of anywhere, that is what you will find.
A Springfield is a town name that describes the geography or economy of the land around it-Springfield, Fairview, Millbrook and so on. We tend not to notice because it's become a proper noun, but these are compound words. My home state of Connecticut's capital of Hartford is a combination of "hart," meaning deer, and "ford," meaning the place where a river is most crossable.
The state capital of Connecticut is named "Deer Crossing" and no one notices because our linguistics have shifted.
"People" towns are named after people, whether a group or an individual. Paris is named after the Parisii, a group of people who used to live there. My beloved Vancouver is named after George Vancouver, who charted the area for the British in the late 1700s. There are 88 municipalities in the United States named Washington, for Pete's sake.
So why do I bring this up?
Because most preexisting settings put out by RPG companies-the kind that our hypothetical fledgeling worldbuilder will turn to for reference-tend to instead use Fantasy Simlish as the chief naming convention, so they'll do that, too. I know I did, for the longest while, because that's just how you named fantasy towns. I grew up on Golarion, a setting that I love and still do, but Lord help me it steered me in the wrong direction.
Springfield Worldbuilding acknowledges that most place names are just compound words or references you don't think about anymore, and tries to take advantage of that. There are a few reasons for this:
- Ease of remembrance. Faerun and Golarion and Athas and all the other big fish have the advantage of having massive amounts of material and preexisting loyal fanbases of lore perverts-I can still tell you about the fall of Sargava or the Ravouneli War of Independence-but you as a GM don't have that. You have 3-6 people with jobs and other stuff going on, and you can't put it all on them. I have a theory that Phandalin is only remember because it was the popular intro adventure. The other cities you see people talk about all follow the Springfield School: Waterdeep, Neverwinter, and Baldur's Gate. Folks make fun of Mount Doom, but it's a damn sight easier to remember than Orodruin.
- Ease of understanding: When something has a Springfield Name, it's a lot easier for a newcomer to figure out what it is. It doesn't take a brain genius to figure out what Freeport's deal is. The names in Rich Burlew's The New World all evoke striking images: Redwater, Greycliff, Latecastle. RPGs are a multisensory medium, and sometimes it's good to stimulate your mind's eye. If a village is named after a person, you might wonder "Oooh, who was that guy?" See all the memes about "Baldur" for an example of this.
- It lets the unusual stand out. Usually, when a place name where you live isn't in a language you recognize, it's a sign that something interesting happened there. For example, the city of Memphis in Tennessee is named that because the founders were like "Well, both cities are built on massive rivers." (the original Memphis' name means "enduring and beautiful." Memphis also stands out because its surrounded by towns like Germantown, Collierville, and Whitehaven (it's named after a dude), so it stands out even more.
| From Faerun's Sea of Stars. I was looking around the map, and the town of Skyclave is the one that stood out because it wasn't written in Fantasy Nonsense, for an example of the opposite principle. Shoutout to friend of the blog Arrowed who lent me his hi-res map of Faerun. |
For an example of the three principles of Springfield Worldbuilding done really well, I'm actually going to turn to...uh...Deathbringer. Yes, the names are all crass and embarassing and edgewank, but Frostkill, Squid Marsh, and Pissberg all pretty much immediately conjure visions of what they look like. However, the old Tormentian capital is named Nu'aru, which is...intriguing. Why is it in a different language than everything else? Were the Old Tormentians a different people linguistically than the people who name things now? I don't know, and I'd put even money on the development team not even thinking of it, but it is interesting, and I'll probably be joking about Pissberg until I die a lot earlier than I probably should.

Comments
Post a Comment